Sony XBR65X850F 4K HDR Ultra HD TV Review
A Quick Look at Sony’s 65″ X850F 120Hz Smart LED TV
Sony’s X850F series is their entry level offering into its upper tier of premium class of 4K HDTVs for 2018 and is available in 65”, 75” and 85” screen sizes.
Note: The 65” and 75” models use IPS display panels with edge-lit LED backlighting. The 85” model uses a VA display and is illuminated with direct-lit LED backlighting without local dimming capability.
Since the 850F is the base model in Sony’s latest top tier lineup, it does not offer all of the features of its higher-end counterpart – the X900F – such as full-array LED backlighting, X-tended Dynamic Range Pro, X1 Extreme Processor, Dolby Vision and X-Motion Clarity.
But don’t let the absence of certain features deter you for inquiring about this otherwise very solid performing 4K UHD TV which certainly holds its own where good features are concerned and I’ll talk about in the next section of this review.
The appearance and design of the 850F is quite attractive and is very similar to the 900F with the exception of the TV’s stand which is not a typical looking Sony design, yet is still aesthetically pleasing and adds very good stability for the 850F’s 65” display panel.
The 850F’s screen contains a semi gloss finish and is surrounded by very thin borders (bezel) which are less than a ½” in width. The panel depth of this TV is also quite thin and measures just over two inches at its thickest point.
Features of the 850F include:
- 4K HDR Processor X1: The 4K HDR Processor X1 with Object-based HDR remaster and Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR technology gives pure colors at higher brightness levels for truly natural pictures. See everything you watch come to life with greater depth, detail, and texture.
- Sony’s 4K X-Reality PRO which upscales and processes images to appear closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity. Images are sharpened and refined in real time, revealing extra detail in picture images.
- The 850F processes High Dynamic Range in the HDR10 and HLG formats for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content.
- MotionFlow XR 960 technology provides smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences. Sony’s MotionFlow XR 960 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images.
- TRILUMINOS Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit panel displays more colors with finer step of gradation for greater color reproduction with HDR sources.
- Android TV with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android or iOS device, or laptop.
- Google Assistant built-in: Use Google Assistant to find your favorite entertainment. Control your Sony TV and other connected devices using your voice.
- Amazon Alexa: Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo family of speakers, sold separately – will be able to control key functions of this Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content.
- Remote features a built-in mic for voice recognition control of certain TV functions.
- Netflix Recommended TV – This certification makes it easier for consumers to know which manufacturers HDTV’s work best with its streaming video service.
- 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct capability
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones.
- 4 HDMI 2.0a inputs (HDCP 2.2 compliant)
- 1 Composite video input
- 3 USB inputs
- 1 Ethernet input
- 1 RF input for antenna/cable/satellite
- 1 Digital optical audio output
- 1 Analog audio output 3.5 mm