Sony XBR65X850F 4K HDR Ultra HD TV Review
A Quick Look at Sony’s 65″ X850F 120Hz Smart LED TV
Sony’s X850F series is their entry level offering into its upper tier of premium class of 4K HDTVs for 2018 and is available in 65”, 75” and 85” screen sizes.
Note: The 65” and 75” models use IPS display panels with edge-lit LED backlighting. The 85” model uses a VA display and is illuminated with direct-lit LED backlighting without local dimming capability.
Since the 850F is the base model in Sony’s latest top tier lineup, it does not offer all of the features of its higher-end counterpart – the X900F – such as full-array LED backlighting, X-tended Dynamic Range Pro, X1 Extreme Processor, Dolby Vision and X-Motion Clarity.
But don’t let the absence of certain features deter you for inquiring about this otherwise very solid performing 4K UHD TV which certainly holds its own where good features are concerned and I’ll talk about in the next section of this review.
The appearance and design of the 850F is quite attractive and is very similar to the 900F with the exception of the TV’s stand which is not a typical looking Sony design, yet is still aesthetically pleasing and adds very good stability for the 850F’s 65” display panel.
The 850F’s screen contains a semi gloss finish and is surrounded by very thin borders (bezel) which are less than a ½” in width. The panel depth of this TV is also quite thin and measures just over two inches at its thickest point.
Features of the 850F include:
- 4K HDR Processor X1: The 4K HDR Processor X1 with Object-based HDR remaster and Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR technology gives pure colors at higher brightness levels for truly natural pictures. See everything you watch come to life with greater depth, detail, and texture.
- Sony’s 4K X-Reality PRO which upscales and processes images to appear closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity. Images are sharpened and refined in real time, revealing extra detail in picture images.
- The 850F processes High Dynamic Range in the HDR10 and HLG formats for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content.
- MotionFlow XR 960 technology provides smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences. Sony’s MotionFlow XR 960 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images.
- TRILUMINOS Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit panel displays more colors with finer step of gradation for greater color reproduction with HDR sources.
- Android TV with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android or iOS device, or laptop.
- Google Assistant built-in: Use Google Assistant to find your favorite entertainment. Control your Sony TV and other connected devices using your voice.
- Amazon Alexa: Alexa-enabled devices (including the Amazon Echo family of speakers, sold separately – will be able to control key functions of this Sony TV. With this new feature you can simply use your voice to turn the Sony TV on or off, change channels, change inputs, control volume, and control playback functions of select streaming content.
- Remote features a built-in mic for voice recognition control of certain TV functions.
- Netflix Recommended TV – This certification makes it easier for consumers to know which manufacturers HDTV’s work best with its streaming video service.
- 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct capability
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones.
- 4 HDMI 2.0a inputs (HDCP 2.2 compliant)
- 1 Composite video input
- 3 USB inputs
- 1 Ethernet input
- 1 RF input for antenna/cable/satellite
- 1 Digital optical audio output
- 1 Analog audio output 3.5 mm
My Rating, Summary & Specs
Check current price at Amazon.com
The XBR65X850F delivered very good picture quality with most content I viewed; images were very sharp with excellent detail, clarity and image depth, giving picture images a more realistic and life-like appearance.
The color rendering on this display was rich, vibrant and accurate – all while appearing very natural and with the proper amounts of tonal balance and color saturation.
Side angle viewing was very good on this TV due to its IPS panel which allows for maintained picture viewing integrity when seated at very wide angles from its screen; this means any color saturation and contrast loss will be kept to a minimum.
Fast motion looked very good on the 850F. I had no complaints with any of the fast action content I viewed which was delivered smooth and blur free.
For gaming, this TV offers good input lag of approximately 30 ms while in gaming mode.
Since the 65” model of the X850F uses an IPS panel, contrast and black levels weren’t the greatest on this TV. This will be most apparent when viewing this TV in a dark room while watching content with dark picture images. This effect will be less noticeable if your viewing environment is well lit.
Black screen uniformity and this wasn’t very good and displayed clouding on a completely black screen. This will be less of an issue when viewing regular content which usually doesn’t involve completely black full screen images.
The Bottom Line
If you’re not expecting or overly concerned about seeing the deepest black levels in the picture content you watch, then you will be pleased with the performance of the XBR65X850F. However, if you do want deeper blacks and a higher contrast ratio, you can always move up to the 85” model which uses a VA panel and direct-lit LED backlighting.
With that said, the XBR65X850F is an otherwise very fine performer with great features and will deliver a satisfying viewing experience.
Screen size reviewed: 65″
• With stand:(WxHxD) 57 1/8” x 35 ½” x 12 ½”
• Without stand:(WxHxD) 57 1/8” x 33” x 2 1/8”
• With stand: 58.4 lbs.
• Without stand: 56.4 lbs.
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor