4K Ultra HD 120Hz (240Hz effective) 3D Smart LED TV
As 4K TVs continue to gain momentum in the consumer electronics market, manufacturers are now providing a host of new models this year, in addition to much lower price tags compared to when this technology first hit the market. This has made 4K TVs more appealing than ever for consumers on the hunt for a new HDTV.
LG has been a major player in this latest technology since its inception and has a full lineup of 4K Ultra LED HD TVs for 2015. The UF8500 Series is part of this lineup and resides just under the company’s flagship UF9500 Series. The UF8500 is available in 60″ and 65″ screen sizes.
Both models contain a glossy screen and use 10-bit IPS (In-Plane Switching) panel technology. IPS panels are known for their excellent side angle (off-axis) viewing capability, which means you will experience very minimal picture dimming and color saturation loss, especially when compared to display panels using VA (Vertical Alignment) technology. In addition, the 10-bit panel design enhances color reproduction for a more detailed and natural picture image.
The panel uses edge-lit LED backlighting to illuminate the TV’s screen and features LG’s LED Local Dimming for better black level reproduction. In actual use, this feature did increase black levels and delivered the best performance with this function set to High.
The nicely designed silver finish metal stand extends almost the entire width of the screen and gives the display panel good support and stability.
The intuitive and well-designed webOS 2.0 is one of the best smart TV platforms available. This new version is faster (quad-core processor) and even more user-friendly than its predecessor, letting users effortlessly switch between content, programs and a number of apps including Netflix, Amazon Instant and many more. Booting time has been reduced by up to 60 percent, and connectivity to external devices is even more effortless than before.
Other features include:
- Magic Remote with voice recognition and point-and-click capability
- LG’s Tru-4K Engine Pro for video processing and Tru-4K Upscaler for 4K video upconversion
- TruMotion 240Hz – for motion blur reduction
- Supports HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs for streaming 4K video from services such as Netflix and Amazon Instant, as well as others
- 3D capability – includes two pairs of passive 3D glasses
- Netflix Recommended TV – this certification allows consumers to identify which manufacturer’s TVs work best with Netflix service
- 3 HDMI inputs – 2.0/HDCP 2.2
- 1 Component input
- 1 Composite input (shared with component input)
- 1 Digital optical output
- 3 USB inputs – one 3.0/two 2.0
- 1 Ethernet input
- 1 RF input for antenna/cable/satellite
- Built-in Wi-Fi and full web browser capability
- Wi-Fi Direct
LG’s UF8500 delivers a very good picture in the following key areas of performance: Color – its color rendition is vibrant and accurate, displaying a color spectrum that is very realistic and true to life.
Image detail and clarity – images are rendered with great detail and clarity, in addition to excellent image depth that provides a very three-dimensional look to on-screen images.
Two key areas where the UF8500 falls a bit short are in contrast and black level performance – IPS panels just don’t have the ability to produce deep/dark blacks. At best, black levels will have a grayish overtone with a very limited contrast range. However, this TV’s LED local dimming feature did help to improve black levels. Although, still not on par with the better-performing LED models that contain VA panels.
Performance Rating & Specs
Check current price at Amazon
• Accurate color performance delivering a detailed and natural picture image
• Very good side angle viewing performance due to its IPS panel design
• Bright picture image – ideal for a bright viewing environment
• Excellent 4K image detail and clarity
• webOS 2.0 smart TV platform – one of the best smart TV interfaces in the industry
• 3D viewing capability
• Poor black level and contrast reproduction – if the LED local dimming feature is turned off
• IPS panel limits contrast and prevents deep black level reproduction
• Mediocre sound quality from built-in speakers – soundbar is recommended for better audio performance
Screen size reviewed: 65″
With stand: (W x H x D) 57.2” x 35.6” x 10.7”
Without stand: (W x H x D) 57.2” x 33.5” x 2.0”
With stand: 72.2 lbs
Without stand: 69.0 lbs
Warranty: One year parts and labor
Final thoughts… if you’re looking for a colorful, sharp, detailed and very refined picture image, and you can live with the fact that LG’s UF8500 won’t provide the best in contrast and black level capability, then you may want to check out this otherwise very good performing 4K UHD TV and see if it’s a good fit for you.