Roku 4 Streaming Media Player
Now with 4K UHD Streaming capability
As cable and satellite prices continue to rise, many consumers are looking for alternative ways to view television programming. Thus, the cord cutter revolution was born. To save money, many households are moving to over-the-air broadcast TV programming with the use of an antenna connected to their TV.
Another popular method to view your favorite movies and TV shows is by using media streaming devices such as the Roku 4 streaming media player featured in this article.
Roku has one of the best streaming boxes currently available, and the Roku 4 is considered their best offering to date.
The Roku 4 is much larger than earlier models (6.5 x 6.5 x 0.8 inches), yet still remains compact enough to not be seen as obtrusive. There are plenty of connection ports on this device which include a USB, HDMI 2.0 w/ HDCP 2.2, Digital optical audio out, Micro SD and Ethernet.
New hardware upgrades to the Roku 4 include a Quad-Core processor which makes for lighting fast functionality when accessing apps. Wi-Fi has also been updated to the latest 802.11ac standard for even more powerful wireless connectivity. (A minimum of a 15Mbps internet connection is recommended for best operational performance).
The main attraction of the Roku 4 is its 4K streaming capability when connected to a 4K UHD TV via an HDMI port with HDCP 2.2. This will allow you to stream 4K video from sources such as Netflix, Amazon, VUDU, M-Go and YouTube, with more 4K content being added on a regular basis. And to make finding 4K content easy, Roku has a 4K UHD content app that lists all available 4K programming.
Even if you don’t use the Roku 4 for 4K video streaming, you still have access to over 2500 channels (apps) which is more than any other streaming service provider with the exception of Amazon Fire TV.
- Roku OS 7 provides an exceptional operating system and user-friendly interface
- Lost remote finder will allow you to locate the remote control by pressing a small button located on top of the Roku box. The remote will then emit an alarm sound
- Enhanced remote with private listening – plug the supplied headphones into the remote and enjoy a late-night movie without disturbing anyone around you
- Voice search – by speaking into the enhanced remote, you can search for your favorite TV shows and movies by title, actor or director
- The Roku mobile app allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to control and operate the Roku box
- 4K UHD streaming support
- Excellent picture quality with 4K UHD and standard HD video sources
- Enhanced remote with private listening and voice search
- Lost remote finder
- Best media streaming player OS and user interface
- No HDR support
- Less gaming options than other streaming media platforms such as Amazon Fire TV
In my opinion, the Roku 4 is currently the best media streaming platform available. Its OS 7 operating system is second to none and offers users a very easy to use interface. It now supports 4K video streaming services from sources such as Netflix, Amazon and more, in addition to offering over 2500 channels (apps).
So if you’re in the market for a very capable and excellent performing media player, then you will definitely want to check out the Roku 4.
Available at Amazon.com
Tech Specs provided by Roku
- 802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless
- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet
- Up to 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) on 4K UHD TVs
- Up to 1080p HD (1920 x 1080) on HD TVs
- Up-scales 720p to 1080p HD on 1080p HD and 4K UHD TVs
- Up-scales 1080p HD to 4K UHD on 4K UHD TVs
- 4K UHD 60 fps HEVC Playback
- 4K UHD 30 fps VP9 Playback (YouTube)
- Playback from USB drives
- Digital stereo over HDMI and optical, Dolby Digital Plus Surround, DTS Digital Surround pass-through over HDMI and optical.
- MicroSD card port for additional game and channel storage
- USB port for personal media expansion
- Enhanced remote with voice search, point anywhere use, headphone jack, and motion-control for gaming.
- Player includes IR receiver, compatible with various universal remotes.
- Speaker for Remote Finder alerts
- 12.4W (typical) when streaming 4K UHD video
- 12V – 2A power adapter
USB Media Formats:
- Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264), HEVC (H.265)
- Audio: MP3, Apple Lossless, WMA, AAC
- Image: JPG, PNG, up to 4K UHD resolution
6.5 x 6.5 x 0.8 inches