KS8500 Curved SUHD 120Hz Smart LED TV
I recently did a hands-on evaluation of the Samsung 55″ UN55KS8000 and the 65″ UN65KS8500 (this review). Both of these models are part of Samsung’s 8 Series for 2016. Furthermore, both of these models are technically identical. The only true difference is in their respective physical designs – the KS8500 has a curved screen – the KS8000 has a flat screen.
During my review process, I was able to compare the picture quality of both displays, with the results being virtually identical. Although I did feel the KS8500 left me feeling with a somewhat more “wow” factor, this, however, was simply due to the KS8500 having a larger screen size.
Important Note: I must point out that there was one performance flaw with the UN65KS8000 that wasn’t evident in the UN55KS8000 – There was some slight light bleed that was visible along the top edge of the display panel during dark images and letterbox content. It was not visible while viewing bright content.
Since the KS8500 and KS8000 have the same performance characteristics, (excluding the flaw mentioned above) I have decided to make this a companion review that coincides with the KS8000 review. For reference purposes, I will provide a link to the KS8000’s full review. This will give you a clear insight into what to expect from the KS8500’s features and performance.
I will still give a separate rating, summary and specs information on the KS8500 in this review.
Click here to see the KS8000 review.
My Rating, Summary & Specs
Check current price at Amazon.com
• Overall good picture quality delivers rich vivid colors and deep black levels with a wide contrast range
• New Smart Hub smart TV platform with an improved interface
• Good motion blur control for sports and fast action movie content
• HDR images improve picture quality
• Low input lag when TV is set to Game mode – great for video gaming
• Picture loses some color saturation and contrast when viewed from side angles
• Motion Judder can be an issue with some video content
• No 3D capability – if you still desire this feature
• No component or composite analog video inputs
• Light bleed at top of the screen
Screen size reviewed: 65″
• With stand: (W x H x D) 56.8″ x 35.7″ x 11.7″
• Without stand: (W x H x D) 56.8″ x 32.7″ x 4.1″
• With stand: 52.2 lbs.
• Without stand: 51.1 lbs.
Warranty: One year parts and labor