At this year’s CES show in Las Vegas, 8K is really starting to make its presence known by television manufacturers, and one of them is Sony.
Sony debuted two supersized displays that are part of their “Z” Series. These models will be available in the enormous screen sizes of 85 and 98-inches which is necessary to see any real benefits over a 4K TV.
The Master Series is the name given to only the very best Sony TVs and provides premium picture quality, color, contrast and clarity approaching that of a professional-grade monitor.
For these new models and all the extra resolution 8K provides – which is four times the resolution of 4K – Sony claims it has updated both its Picture Processor X1 Ultimate image processor, and its X-Reality PRO technology to be optimized for 8K content, and has a unique algorithm specially developed for 8K that can intelligently detect and analyze each object in the picture, resulting in exceptional detail and contrast for a more realistic picture that represents the creators’ intent.
Furthermore, completely new dedicated 8K technologies have been developed for the Z9G series, including a Backlight Master Drive feature with full-array local dimming and 8K X-tended Dynamic Range PRO. The Backlight Master Drive on the Z9G has ultra-dense LED modules that are independently controlled, delivering unprecedented contrast with punchy brightness and pitch blacks. To optimize this backlight system, 8K X-tended Dynamic Range PRO uses the saved energy to intelligently boost the brightness in the areas where it needs to be boosted.
Sony also claims that it has come up with a proprietary algorithm for upscaling 4K content to near-8K quality. Its system uses an “8K database to refer to for even more precise, detailed upscaling.”
The Z9G also features X-Wide Angle to ensure the picture retains its quality and true colors regardless of the viewing angle by reducing color shifts when viewing the screen off-axis. Also, X-Motion Clarity minimizes motion blur without sacrificing screen brightness.
List of key Features – Provided by Sony
Master Series Z9G 8K HDR Full Array LED TV (98” and 85” models)
- Sony’s 8K bringing the creator’s intent to life with truly authentic experience by combining the brilliance of 8K HDR with Sony’s unique Master Series philosophy.
- Features Picture Processor X1 Ultimate and 8K X-Reality PRO; pictures are sharpened and refined in real time, and images are upscaled closer to true 8K quality using Sony’s exclusive 8K database.
- Features Backlight Master Drive, full-array LED backlight technology that combines an ultra-dense, independently controlled LED modules tuned for 8K, to deliver incredibly deep blacks, dazzling lights, and more vibrant color.
- To be updated to HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K resolution and 4K High Frame Rate in a single cable.
- Features 8K X-tended Dynamic Range PRO that ensures 20 times the contrast of conventional LED TVs.
- Features Acoustic Multi-Audio by four front-facing speakers; with Sony’s Sound-from-Picture Reality experience, action and sound are precisely aligned and viewing becomes so much more immersive.
- Features a TV Center Speaker Mode; use the TV as the center speaker in a home cinema setup.
- Features X-Wide Angle that minimizes the color change when viewed from the side; view faithful shades and hues from wherever you watch the TV.
- X-Motion Clarity keeps fast action clear and smooth; moving images are precisely controlled to minimize blur even during fast-moving scenes, pictures stay true with no loss in brightness.
- Features Netflix Calibrated Mode that brings the creator’s vision directly to the TV.
- Features IMAX Enhanced that brings a fully immersive at-home entertainment experience to the TV taking full advantage of IMAX Enhanced content.
- Dolby Vision brings scenes vividly to life for authentic viewing, while Dolby Atmos fills the room with immersive surround sound.
- Compatible HDR formats – Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG
- With the Android TV platform and the Google Assistant built-in, you can quickly access entertainment, get answers and control devices around your home. Find the latest blockbuster, check the score of the big game or dim the lights – all with just your voice, no remote required.
- Apple Airplay 2 and HomeKit – AirPlay is an Apple proprietary system that allows you to stream audio or video and more from an Apple source device such as an iPhone or iPad. Now with the inclusion of AirPlay 2 into popular brands of smart TVs, consumers can enjoy Apple services without having to own an Apple product.
- Easy to control smart remote; connect set-top boxes and other devices via HDMI to the TV and control them all using one smart remote (depends on region); a slimmer, more rounded design with a built-in voice control microphone and an enhanced button layout for ease of use.
- New processor for stress-free usability; quicker response of launching apps, powering on the TV, and more.
Check back soon for pricing and retail availability.