65U8H ULED 120Hz Smart Google TV
HDTVs and More product profile review
Product Name: U8H
Product Description: 4K ULED | Mini-LED | Full Array Mini LED backlighting with Local Dimming | Quantum Dot Wide Color Gamut | Smooth Motion & 120Hz Native Refresh Rate | Dolby Vision • Dolby Atmos | Filmmaker Mode | Game Mode Pro | ATSC 3.0 Tuner | Voice Remote
Performance Summary - 65" model
Note: For the most accurate picture quality, use the “Theater Night”, Theater Day, or “Filmmaker Mode” picture mode settings. Also, do not use the “Energy Saving” picture mode. It will reduce picture quality.
- Mini LED backlighting
- Great local dimming algorithm – Full-array backlighting with local dimming (65” 504 dimming zones)
- *High peak brightness – SDR 10% window 1,460 nits/HDR 10% window 1,705 nits
- High brightness output – Good for watching TV shows and sporting events in a bright room
- The U8H mini backlight system is excellent and is claimed to be as good as any TV currently available. Blooming is kept to a minimum with real content on the 65” model. The 75” model should have very similar performance or slightly more blooming due to the minimal increase of dimming zones (528) in relation to the larger screen size. However, the 55” model only has 336 dimming zones so backlight blooming may not be as tightly controlled.
- Crushed blacks are not an issue with real content on this TV. Although with test patterns it could be seen
- Outstanding contrast allows for excellent black levels which makes this TV a great choice for viewing movies in a dark room.
- Very good shadow detail in dark scenes
- Color reproduction is rich and vibrant on the U8H. Out-of-the-box color accuracy is excellent. Excellent HDR wide color gamut
- Above average sound quality thanks in part to the built-in subwoofer. Some deep bass is present depending on the content. Clean and clear dialogue
- Decent 4K upscaling. Not as good as Sony or Samsung
- Good motion handling with fast action content including sports
- Very good black screen uniformity
- Good reflection handling, so screen glare shouldn’t be a major issue
- Google TV smart TV platform
- IMAX certified
- Great gaming TV: 4K@120Hz, VRR, ALLM, Free Sync support
- Low input lag: approx. 15.0 ms with 1080p @ 60Hz and 4K @ 60Hz signals | 7.0 ms with 1080p @ 120Hz and 4K @ 120Hz signals
- Narrow viewing angles are not ideal for rooms with wide seating arrangements. Picture quality will suffer from contrast and color saturation loss.
- Video processing is not as good as more expensive brands. For example, 1080p to 4K upscaling is good but not great when compared to Sony and Samsung TVs.
- Noticeable stutter in low frame rate content.
- During gaming, 4K@120Hz not working properly. Should be fixed with a firmware update.
- During gaming, red ghosting can be seen in some content
- No Apple AirPlay
Hisense’s premium line of ULED TVs continues to get better in terms of performance year after year. And the level of performance and the available features packed into the U8H, arguably position it as the best all-around TV in its price class.
The U8H is available in 55” ($699.99), 65” ($899.99), and 75” ($1,499.99). These are current sale prices at Best Buy.
Hisense ULED TVs deliver detailed, exquisite and lifelike images by Hisense’s state-of-the-art LED backlight control and color management technologies, as well as a set of algorithms. ULED Technology elevates the overall picture quality to a remarkable level with authentic color, brilliant contrast, clean motion and distinct details.
Model year: 2022
The U8H offers a stylish design that exudes premium quality. And speaking of quality, the U8H is well-made with premium aesthetic appeal. The modern design of this display offers very thin bezels that surround its semi-gloss screen that is illuminated with mini LEDs.
The metal feet (stand) offer good support for the panel and have “wide” and “narrow” mounting options which will help with tabletop placement.
The back panel is made of solid plastic with a smooth textured design. The back panel also contains a built-in sub-woofer.
- 4K ULED – Hisense’s proprietary ULED technologies boost color, contrast, brightness, and motion. This suite of patented hardware and software technologies delivers an engaging and completely unique picture that can only be delivered by Hisense.Mini-LED – One of the newest backlighting technologies to enter the market, Mini-LED backlight panels create a brighter picture with more contrast control than typical LED-backlit televisions. Quantum Dot Wide Color Gamut – Quantum Dot produces purer, richer, more brilliant, and more accurate color than a regular LED TV. Creating over a billion color combinations brings vibrant images to life in a way non-QLED TVs can’t.
- Full Array mini LED backlighting with Local Dimming – The 65” U8H has 504 dimming zones and 1500 nits of peak brightness.
- Smooth Motion & 120Hz Native Refresh Rate – Smooth Motion removes the digital noise that can affect moving objects. The TV’s native 120Hz refresh rate is the foundation for its 480 motion rate. These technologies work together for a great picture.
- Dolby Vision • Dolby Atmos – Dolby Vision HDR picture and Dolby Atmos sound are cinema technology for your home. They provide amazing realism you can see and hear in every scene.
- HDR compatibility – Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR, HLG
- Game Mode Pro – All the most advanced gaming tech: HDMI 2.1 inputs recognize gaming sequences to automatically adjust settings for smooth, uninterrupted play. Automatic low-latency mode (ALLM), 120Hz variable refresh rate (VRR) and FresSync Premium Pro minimize input lag and frame tearing
- Dolby Vision Gaming – This television can support Dolby Vision for gaming at 4K 120Hz.
- Voice Remote – The voice remote control makes controlling your TV easier. Open apps, turn the volume up or down and search for your favorite shows. And if the remote goes missing, use the buttons on the TV to activate ‘Find My Remote’.
- Hands-Free Voice Control – Put down the remote. Change the channel, find the latest movie, and stream your favorite video and more with your voice. The quicker, easier way to find whatever you want to watch.
- Google TV interface lets you browse live TV, movies, and TV shows from across many streaming services.
- Google Assistant – The Google Assistant* is built into Google TV. Tell it to turn on the lights, change the thermostat, add stuff to your grocery list, or just play that video of your friend falling over for the millionth time. And with universal search, you can even get recommendations with Google TV.
- Works with Alexa – This television works with Alexa through any of your Alexa-enabled devices. Just ask Alexa to switch the TV on or off, change channels and lots more.
- Metal Stand, Bezel-less design – A bezel-less design gives this television a sleek aesthetic that won’t ‘overpower’ the room with an unnecessarily large frame. The metal stand provides sturdy support for this feature-packed television.
- Filmmaker Mode – By disabling all post-processing (e.g. motion smoothing) and preserving the correct aspect ratios, colors and frame rates, Filmmaker Mode enables your TV to display the movie or television show’s content precisely as it was intended by the filmmaker.
- Bluetooth Connectivity – Wirelessly connect Bluetooth-compatible soundbars, headphones or stereo components to your TV. This quick and convenient connection eliminates unwanted and unsightly cords while providing a secure connection to your audio source.
- Built-in ATSC 3.0 tuner for over-the-air 4K broadcast.
- 4 HDMI inputs – two 2.1 4K@120Hz/two 2.0 4K@60Hz – HDCP 2.2 compliant
- 2 USB inputs – one 3.0 and one 2.0
- 1 RCA audio/video composite input (adaptor required)
- 1 Digital optical audio output
- 1 RF input for cable/satellite TV
- ATSC 3.0 Tuner
- 1 Ethernet (LAN) input
- eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) HDMI 3
- Built-in 802.11ax Wi-Fi6E
- Bluetooth enabled
- 1 Analog audio output (3.5mm)
With stand: (W x H x D) 57.2″ x 35.9″ x 14.8″
Without stand: (W x H x D) 57.2″ x 33.1″ x 3.0″
With stand: 58.2 lbs.
Without stand: 56.4 lbs.
The Hisense U8H is a great 4K TV. And at its price point, the performance and features it offers are simply remarkable. Although it does have its flaws, it’s still one of the best TVs currently available in my opinion.
Check out the overwhelmingly positive customer reviews of the U8H at the Hisense link above.
HDTVs and More recommended.
All image credit Hisense